Calorie: 90. Protein: 7 grams. Carbs: 7 grams. Fat: 5 grams.
Makes 20 meatballs
Meatballs are an amazing side dish to add protein to your diet. This Asian-inspired recipe was introduced to me by my friend at a dinner party. It is absolutely delicious, easy to meal prep in advance, and you can even turn it into a full meal by serving it with your favorite carb. Best of all, the bite-size pieces allow you to add more or less based on your macros. The macros for this epic meal prep idea is perfect for Flexible Dieting, and the recipe is absolutely delicious so give this IIFYM meal prep a try.
Ingredients for the Sauce
- Quarter cup Brown sugar
- Quarter cup Water
- Quarter cup Soy sauce
- Quarter cup Mirin
- 2 inch Ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Coriander, grounded
- 4 Black peppercorns, whole
Ingredients for Meatballs
- 1 lb (500 g) Ground Beef, extra lean
- 6 Spring onions, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Ground pepper.
1. In a bowl add the ground beef, spring onions, cilantro, egg, sesame oil, soy sauce, and fresh ground pepper.
2. After washing your hands, gently combine all the ingredients in the bowl. Tip: Avoid squeezing the meat with your hands. You want to take the time to gently fold all the ingredients together because overworking the meat because this will great a grainy texture from the meat.
3. Start forming the meatballs into bite sized pieces. This recipe makes 20 meatballs so try to make them evenly sized .
4. Preheat a large skillet to medium heat and add some olive oil.
5. Add the meatballs into the skillet. Do not crowd the pan. You may need to do this in batches
6. Once you start seeing the bottom edges of the meatballs brown, it is time to flip the meatballs.
7. Once cooked, set the meatballs aside.
8. In a small sauce and add all the brown sugar, water, soy sauce, mirin, grated ginger, coriander and black peppercorns to the pot.
9. Turn the heat up to low to medium to bring the sauce to a soft simmer. Cook until the sauce begins to reduce, then turn the heat off and set aside.
10. At the dinner party, we served the meatballs individually with a piece of focaccia bread. However, you can add this to any of your meal prep for a dose of extra protein. You can also serve 3-6 meatballs with rice, pasta or potatoes for a full meal.